is there a way to install deps based on a spec, rather than a src.rpm?

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Fri Jun 9 11:30:22 PDT 2006

On Fri, 9 Jun 2006, Vincent Danen wrote:

> Working on my build environment, I'm wondering if there is something
> similar to "build-dep" that works on spec files?  Ie. something that
> will install any required binary packages to satisfy the buildrequires
> on a spec file?
>
> Can apt do anything like that?  I'm not sure how possible it would be..
> normally I've been building a src.rpm from a spec (with --nodeps) and
> then using urpmi to install the buildreq's from that src.rpm but I'm
> wondering if there is a way I can eliminate that step by querying the
> spec file directly.
>
> Is this possible?

Currently, no. I don't think there's anything that can fully parse a
specfile except rpm itself. There is some kind of api to parsing specfiles
in rpmlib but haven't really looked at it .. so dunno what sort of work
would it be to add specfile build-dep operation to apt. It would be
nice to have, certainly.