is there a way to install deps based on a spec, rather than a src.rpm?

Vincent Danen vdanen at annvix.org
Fri Jun 9 17:24:37 PDT 2006

* Panu Matilainen <pmatilai at laiskiainen.org> [2006-06-09 11:30:22 -0700]:

> > Working on my build environment, I'm wondering if there is something
> > similar to "build-dep" that works on spec files?  Ie. something that
> > will install any required binary packages to satisfy the buildrequires
> > on a spec file?
> >
> > Can apt do anything like that?  I'm not sure how possible it would be..
> > normally I've been building a src.rpm from a spec (with --nodeps) and
> > then using urpmi to install the buildreq's from that src.rpm but I'm
> > wondering if there is a way I can eliminate that step by querying the
> > spec file directly.
> >
> > Is this possible?
>
> Currently, no. I don't think there's anything that can fully parse a
> specfile except rpm itself. There is some kind of api to parsing specfiles
> in rpmlib but haven't really looked at it .. so dunno what sort of work
> would it be to add specfile build-dep operation to apt. It would be
> nice to have, certainly.

Yeah, I know I've queried specfiles with rpm to get info out of them in
an automated way which is handy.  Just wasn't sure how broad that
support was.

If you've got a wishlist somewhere, could you kindly add that for
whenever you (or someone else) feels appropriately motivated and/or
bored?  =)

It's not something I'm in a hurry or overly eagre to see, but I do think
that would be one of those features that would make apt really shine
compared to the "competition".

--
{FEE30AD4 : 7F6C A60C 06C2 4811 FA1C  A2BC 2EBC 5E32 FEE3 0AD4}
mysql> SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;