[Apt-Rpm] Apt-rpm on embedded Linux, is it impossible?

jean-seb jsh at interlug-fr.org
Sat Jan 12 09:09:22 PST 2008

Quan phongvan a écrit :
> Dear Jean-seb,
> It's so nice for me to hear that from you. If you don't mind, can you
> give me more advices for my issues:
> 1. For your mentioned RHEL clone that you used on your embedded
> system, Does it have yum as RPM packages management systems. If yes,
> can apt-rpm beats yum as a update tool?

No, it use apt only, personally I hate yum and don't understand why
create an other tool for rpm based distro, apt was already here and do
the work well; and the best,
it is use in Debian and Rpm based distro, so when you swith into Debian
and Rpm distro, no problem: apt-get update, apt-get dist-upgrade ... :)

> 2. As you mentioned "apt is faster than light , and it don't need
> python; so the memory it use is not a big issue.", I think apt-rpm has
> a big dependency list (especially when I compiled apt-rpm from source
> code, it required a lot of packages such as: beecrypt, zlib,...).
> About python, does it really become the most biggest obstacle for yum
> or even smartpm (an update tool for RPM packages similar to yum and
> apt-rpm).
Yum use python and a lot of sub-modules (how it query the rpm database?);
the main problem I see: you need a pre-interpreter to run yum:
So you can resume it by:
kernel -> glibc -> python -> pre-compiling -> yum+ extra modules

for apt:
kernel -> glibc -> libs (stdc++, zlib) -> apt

Pre-compiled software runs always faster ( C and C++ are faster than
Python).

If you have time: you can test this 'theory' with gdb and see what
program (yum or apt) use the most of memory :)

> 3. In addition, can you give more details why did you mention about HP
> Server ProLiant in: "it is faster that the same version in Proliant
> Servers ! (maybe because /var is in ram?)".

We use one distro (Gralinux AS 3; a RHEL clone with some tweaks; webmin,
openvpn, more iptables modules etc..) on both Embedded systems and
Servers: the binaries are strictly the same.
we have a lot of HP proliant and when i apply updates, apt is far faster
on embedded devices than on the big Proliant :) : a read/write issue i
think ;)
We all know than hard drive are ..  slow :-/ , specially with Raid 5 ...

> Hope to receive your advice soon,
> Best regards,
> Nguyen Anh Quan.

Regards