gensrclist usage

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Sun Feb 18 10:53:20 PST 2007

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007, Vincent Danen wrote:

> Now here's a quick question.  I see in apt there is a genbasedir,
> genpkglist, and gensrclist.  I assume that genbasedir calls or uses the
> same code as genpkglist, but what about gensrclist?  I just had someone
> ask about how to setup a "rpm-src" repository, but apt wants
> srclist.release.bz2 and no such file is being created.  Doesn't look
> like there is an option to genbasedir to create the srpm index files, so
> how do I call gensrclist to make those files?  There are no manpages and
> the --help doesn't really give much info.

SRPM indexes get automatically created by genbasedir when it can find
them. The gotcha is that it by default expects to find SRPMS.<component>
directory in the one above <topdir>. The reason for this, IIRC, is
that it allows binaries for several architectures to share same SRPMS
directory without extra arrangements like symlinks. If you want the SRPMS
to be on the same directory level as binaries you'll need to use --flat
option.

This is covered in http://apt-rpm.org/reposetup-native.shtml but like you
noticed, no manpages exist. Except .. that there are manpages in the
Debian apt-rpm package because Debian policies mandate every executable to
have a manpage (IIRC). So now we have manpages for those too :)