Debian guy trying to figure out apt-rpm

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Mon Apr 9 13:40:02 PDT 2007

On Monday 09 April 2007 19:57, Derek Reid wrote:
> Hi Nigel,
>
> Thanks for the help.  Looks like by simply pasting in your
> rpmpriorities' contents, that resolved the problem.
>
> I hadn't actually used yum to obtain the packages -- I'd just ftp'ed
> into a mirror and downloaded the packages you mentioned.  But if you
> don't mind, I'd love to know what your yum repo files look like.  Yum is
> still a bit strange to me.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Derek

Ok. As far as Yum is concerned there are 2 places in /etc. 1file, which
is /etc/yum.conf, and 2 directories, which are yum, and yum.repos.d.

/etc/yum/repos.d contains more repos than does /etc/apt/sources.list.d, which
just contains the main ones (core, extras, and core updates). Quite why apt's
sources.list doesn't contain the same repos as yum's I don't know.

I wanted a package from fedora-extras-development. The syntax of the URL is
different in Yum compared to that with Apt. It took 2 or 3 goes before I got
access to the repo with Apt.

Apologies to the Apt list. There is nothing wrong with using Yum, but I just
cannot get on with the GUI for it (Yumex). Apt, and synaptic have always
worked well, and I've had very few problems with them.

This is from FC5, but these are the files in /etc/yum.repos.d
fedora-core.repo
fedora-development.repo
fedora-extras-development.repo
fedora-extras.repo
fedora-legacy.repo  (no longer in existance)
fedora-updates.repo
fedora-updates-testing.repo
livna-devel.repo
livna.repo
livna-testing.repo

I probably added the livna ones by the way, but my brain is going into the
darkzone, so am not sure of anything anymore.

I think I've lost the plot a bit now, but if pasting the rpmpriorities list
has fixed apt, stick with it. The only time I use Yum on a new install of FC
is to install Apt, and Synaptic, then I'm finished with Yum.

Enough about Yum. This is an Apt mailing list.

Nigel.