[OT] who maintains aptitude for rpm? (fwd)

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Thu Oct 12 23:19:31 PDT 2006

On Wed, 4 Oct 2006, Wilfried Weissmann wrote:

> Panu Matilainen wrote:
>> What distribution (and version) are you using, and do you by any chance
>> have SELinux enabled? Scriptlets failing in aptitude but working in apt
>> *could* be explainable with SElinux context/type differences. The fact that
>> aptitude crashes because of that is obviously a bug of some sorts - one
>> possibility might be that it blindly assumes a package marked for removal
>> actually getting removed no matter what (if scriptlets fail rpm's dont get
>> removed!) and gets its bookkeeping wrong because of that (or something like
>> that). But that's just wild wild speculation, haven't actually looked at
>> aptitude code...
>
> I have set the same type as defined in /usr/bin/apt-get and started aptitude
> from the console (no "su -"). Now the %postun scripts are executed, but
> aptitude still crashes. However the package was removed fine.
> So SE Linux makes a difference, but we still do not know if the sigsegv is SE
> Linux related.

Ok, I'd guess the actual crash is simply Something Else then. I've only
briefly tried aptitude in recent times, the version I used was this:
http://www.haxxed.com/rpms/aptitude-0.3.3-1.src.rpm

I didn't see any crashes with that when removing a couple of packages but
then it just might be luck or whatever - can you check if there are any
patches not present in your package and whether they make any difference?

I hope starting from next week I'll have a bit more time to dedicate to
apt-stuff again so I could try to have a look at this in more detail then.