rpm --root equivalent?

Vincent Danen vdanen at annvix.org
Mon May 15 12:00:54 PDT 2006

* Panu Matilainen <pmatilai at laiskiainen.org> [2006-05-09 20:53:03 +0300]:

> > Oh, one more question.  I just realized this the other day, or rather,
> > just remembered.
> >
> > apt only can use ftp/http to retrieve packages, correct?  Are there any
> > plans to support other methods of package retrieval?  One thing that I
> > found I use on my external web servers is that one of them holds a copy
> > of my repository of packages, and the other retrieves them via ssh/scp.
> > Now, I could setup an ftp server on the one machine to run over the
> > local xover cable that links the two machines, but that's a bit of a
> > pain... =)  I was wondering if apt could currently do something like
> > this or if there were any plans?
>
> Apt actually supports rsh and ssh retrieval, in addition to "normal"
> http/ftp/file methods. There are patches for rsync support as well but
> it required patching rsync itself the last I looked (quite a while ago),
> maybe that has changed since.

Is this documented?  I don't recall seeing anything like that being
noted.

Duh... nevermind.  Just spotted it in sources.list(5).  Thanks.

> > Thanks again for answering so many questions... =)  I really do
> > appreciate it.
>
> No problem :)

FWIW, apt seems to be running quite nicely here... =)  It will
definitely be shipping in the next Annvix release.  Whether or not it's
the default package manager or not remains to be seen, but it will
definitely be in there.

--
Annvix - Secure Linux Server: http://annvix.org/
"lynx -source http://linsec.ca/vdanen.asc | gpg --import"