OT: my VC is better than yours :) (was: Bump release)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Thu Jun 22 04:09:03 PDT 2006

On Thu, Jun 22, 2006 at 12:31:13PM +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > > Yes, svn doesn't even support this notion.
> >
> > That's not true. svn just has a different (better!) implementation IMO.
> I beg to differ, different yes, better no.

It's really very much better, even from my very personal, unbiased and
objective POV ;)

> > If you try once to rename files and directories with CVS you learn to
> > hate it :)
> Yes, renaming is a problem with CVS. You have to resort to "rm & add" or
> server-side tricks.

It's not a problem, it is impossible. You either lose history, have a
disconnected history timeline or cannot recreate past
releases. Projects have been damned to their original folder structure
even when they wanted to reorganize due to that, SVN and friends came
to rescue.

> But this is a rare operation

Yes, under CVS it had to be ... :)

> - Cutting diffs, however is a frequent
> operation, exactly the point where svn has problems.

I don't see why, you can even diff in the work area, and all diff
operations of CVS are supported. SVN even has a pluggable diff
command, e.g. you can replace it on the fly with your own diff
command.

> > Check out
> >
> > http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/apa.html
> I know, I know ...
>
> > for a quick svn guide for former CVS users.
> Former? Current!

O.K., let's settle on "current-about-to-become-former".

Anyway, we've gone too off-topic and trolling I guess. :)
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net