listing updated packages only

Vincent Danen vdanen at annvix.org
Wed Jun 14 11:56:53 PDT 2006

* Panu Matilainen <pmatilai at laiskiainen.org> [2006-06-11 23:10:57 -0700]:

> >> Vincent, if you do that, can you please send me the script? I could use that
> >> for PhoeNUX's apt-rpm so I can get rid of a LOT of excess code in Pi (package
> >> installer) which is an add / remove programs GUI app I'm writing in perl-qt.
> >
> > The lua script or the shellscript?  The shellscript is being done first
> > as that's the one I know I can whip out quickly.  The lua script...
> > probably not so quick, although I'll know more once I start looking at
> > the other scripts.
>
> What sort of things are we talking about here, exactly? I think a cronjob
> for automatical updates (or "updates available" notifications) are a
> pretty common need.

Something that only reports new packages.  Doesn't download them,
doesn't install them.  Just indicates there are new packages to be had.

> There's already a crude cronjob for this in contrib/apt-cron but that
> could be enhanced in plenty of ways, including a nicer output for the
> purpose by using a custom lua script etc.

I'll have to look at the crude script you've got there.

> Folks interested in this, could you list your needs in a bit more detailed
> level than "updater / update-checker running from cron" :) Mock output is
> fine, and doesn't matter if it's a bit distro-specific, we can then figure
> out the common needs and find ways to make those distro-specific things
> possible. I should be able to whip out something for this pretty
> quickly... that can be then improved on and included in contrib/ etc.

The below is the output sent when my urpmi check is done.  It only sends
output if new packages are available, otherwise no mail is sent.

Annvix package updates monitor

Check performed on ares.annvix.ca on Thu Jun  1 04:02:30 MDT 2006

The following updates are available for your system.  To install these
updates, please execute 'urpmi --auto-select' on your system.

The following updates in media 'annvix' were found:

glibc
glibc-devel
httpd
httpd-common
httpd-mod_ssl
httpd-modules
ldconfig
lib64mysql14
lib64pq4
lib64python2.4
lib64user1
lib64xml2
libuser
passwd
python
python-base
timezone

It's pretty straightforward.  =)
--
{FEE30AD4 : 7F6C A60C 06C2 4811 FA1C  A2BC 2EBC 5E32 FEE3 0AD4}
mysql> SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;