man pages

Vincent Danen vdanen at annvix.org
Fri Jun 9 17:22:56 PDT 2006

* Panu Matilainen <pmatilai at laiskiainen.org> [2006-06-09 11:21:45 -0700]:

> >> Oh come on... don't nitpick... =)  Besides, it looks better visually (it
> >> adds some "reverse highlighting" to the user-input stuff (ie. "pkg(s)").
> >
> > The point is not so much to nitpick, it's more about following tradition I
> > suppose. Typically the brackets and such are not bolded but the command /
> > option is, and the user input part is underlined.
>
> To clarify: I'm not going to be holding up man page updates for minor
> stylistic differences of taste. It was more a comment than a requirement,
> the point here I think is that it's good to follow tradition because
> people reading manpages know how to interpret those visual clues (even if
> they're not always terribly appealing visually :)

No no, I understood what you're doing and where you're coming from, but
manpages are anything but typical or traditional, etc.  Each seems to
have it's own little tweak or stylistic differences, etc. as noted in my
previous mail.

So the matter is more upon settling what needs to be common across apt
(without serious deviation like making commands in all CAPS and options
in l33tsp3ak or something silly).

My other email has more details on what we should define/settle on, etc.
before I go ahead and make more changes.

--
{FEE30AD4 : 7F6C A60C 06C2 4811 FA1C  A2BC 2EBC 5E32 FEE3 0AD4}
mysql> SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;