man pages

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Fri Jun 9 11:21:45 PDT 2006

On Fri, 9 Jun 2006, Panu Matilainen wrote:

> On Fri, 9 Jun 2006, Vincent Danen wrote:
>
>> * Panu Matilainen <pmatilai at laiskiainen.org> [2006-06-09 01:09:28 -0700]:

>>> That looks ok, now just convert the rest to this style :) One minor thing
>>> though - I wonder does it make sense to have those []'s around command
>>> arguments in bold either?
>>
>> Oh come on... don't nitpick... =)  Besides, it looks better visually (it
>> adds some "reverse highlighting" to the user-input stuff (ie. "pkg(s)").
>
> The point is not so much to nitpick, it's more about following tradition I
> suppose. Typically the brackets and such are not bolded but the command /
> option is, and the user input part is underlined.

To clarify: I'm not going to be holding up man page updates for minor
stylistic differences of taste. It was more a comment than a requirement,
the point here I think is that it's good to follow tradition because
people reading manpages know how to interpret those visual clues (even if
they're not always terribly appealing visually :)