man pages

Vincent Danen vdanen at annvix.org
Thu Jun 1 14:41:16 PDT 2006

* Dag Wieers <dag at wieers.com> [2006-05-28 14:25:03 +0200]:

> > > Have you ever looked at asciidoc. I'm using asciidoc everywhere now, for
> > > manpages and normal documentation. asciidoc is just a strict formatting
> > > for ascii txt files so that they are still human readable as-is, are very
> > > easy to create (once you know the syntax) and you only need the asciidoc
> > > tool to convert to html or docbook. From the docbook output you can move
> > > to man-pages, PDF and others.
> > >
> > > A simple example is at:
> > >
> > > 	http://svn.rpmforge.net/svn/trunk/tools/dstat/dstat.1.txt
> >
> > Hum, that looks very nice indeed. I'm in no way love with the docbook
> > stuff, it's cumbersome to write which raises the bar on updating
> > documentation quite significantly, whereas the above .. Thanks Dag for
> > the pointer, I'll seriously consider switching to that for my own
> > projects :)
>
> I forgot to mention however, that asciidoc requires python 2.3 or newer,
> which is not available on older distributions (like EL3). Which to me is
> the only drawback.

But, as was stated before, this just needs to be there for "make dist",
so it doesn't matter so much.  Besides, I think it's more likely to have
python available in a distro than docbook, sgml stuff, and the right
dtd.

--
{FEE30AD4 : 7F6C A60C 06C2 4811 FA1C  A2BC 2EBC 5E32 FEE3 0AD4}
mysql> SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;

Annvix - Secure Linux Server: http://annvix.org/