[Apt-Rpm] Couldn't make mmap of 25165825 bytes - mmap (22 Invalid argument)

Bernhard Rosenkraenzer bero at arklinux.org
Tue Nov 18 23:59:00 PST 2008

Some more debugging shows it is indeed related to mmap on
jffs2.

Workaround:

mount -t tmpfs none /var/cache/apt
mkdir -p /var/cache/apt/archives/partial
apt-get update ; apt-get install whatever
umount /var/cache/apt

We should probably have more intelligent handling for failed
mmaps (or fix jffs2)...

On Wednesday 19 November 2008 08:13:23 Bernhard
Rosenkraenzer wrote:
> Hi,
> I just tried installing apt (current git) on an OLPC - apt-get
> update fetches the package lists as expected, but then
> barfs:
>
> E: Couldn't make mmap of 25165825 bytes - mmap (22
> Invalid argument)
> W: Unable to munmap
> E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or
> opened
>
> It doesn't seem to be an out of memory problem - 29 MB
> free + 149 MB buffers/cache, and adding a swap file
doesn't
> change anything.
>
> Any idea what's going on there? OLPC's / filesystem is on
> jffs2, maybe there's a problem with mmap-ing files on that
> fs? (but in that case, shouldn't apt-pkg/contrib/mmap.cc
do