[Apt-Rpm] multiple good providers, how does apt pick the right one?

Vincent Danen vdanen at annvix.org
Thu Mar 6 07:44:43 PST 2008

* [2008-03-01 10:08:58 -0700] Vincent Danen wrote:

> * [2008-02-24 15:56:43 +0200] Panu Matilainen wrote:
>
>>> Whether it's reasonably possible to have Lua-hook in the lowlevel depsolve
>>> logic remains to be seen, but a C++-level callback shouldn't have such
>>> problems. It'd be sad if Lua can't be used but (optional) app-specific
>>> callback would still enable what you want, so not all hope is lost anyway
>>> :)
>>
>> ...and here's the first rough-cut of the C++ callback approach this time
>> batter^H^H^H^H^H^H patch included.
>>
>> There are all sorts of nitty details to sort out, such as dealing with -y
>> and it's variants in semi-intelligent manner and probably some more
>> fundamental issues too but at least you'll get to play around with it a
>> bit.
>>
>> Haven't done any extensive testing, just some basic "seems to do what
>> intended" runs so watch out for any falling pieces :)
>
> Rocking.  I've had a busy week so haven't been able to play with this
> yet, but if I get a chance this weekend I will do so and let you know
> how it works out.  I'm still using 0.5.15lorg3.2, so I'm hoping this
> patch will work with it?
>
> I would have hit the devel version, but without knowing roughly when it
> might be stabilized, I decided it against it in case I had to drop down
> to the stable version once we pushed our latest release.

Ok, patch definitely does not apply to the stable version.

So...  in light of that, how stable is the devel version?  How much
is left to wrap up the next stable release (hopefully something sane
like 0.5.16 or 0.6?  =)

I'm going to package the latest devel version for my own personal test
use, but I don't want to commit it to Annvix until/unless I know that
it's pretty solid and that a stable release is on the horizon in the
short(ish)-term (I plan to push 3.1-RELEASE for Annvix this spring or
early summer and don't want to use a possibly-unstable development
version).

Is there anything I can help with (short of coding as my C is... well..
not so hot) to move this thing along?

Thanks!

--
Vincent Danen @ http://linsec.ca/