[Apt-Rpm] rpm5 and apt-rpm: Almost working

Gary Greene greeneg at tolharadys.net
Fri Jul 18 17:59:54 PDT 2008

On Friday 18 July 2008 05:09:20 am Bernhard Rosenkränzer wrote:
> Hi,
> I finally got around to fixing various problems with apt-rpm when used with
> rpm5 -- the last being "apt-get update" hanging because of a bug in
> rpm4compat.h.
>
> Now it gets the lists and starts resolving dependencies, but it complains
> about the rpm internal dependencies for loads of installed packages:

>   ImageMagick: Depends: VersionedDependencies (<= 3.0.3-1) but it is not
> installable
>                Depends: PayloadFilesHavePrefix (<= 4.0-1) but it is not
> installable
>                Depends: CompressedFileNames (<= 3.0.4-1) but it is not
> installable
>                Depends: PayloadIsBzip2 (<= 3.0.5-1) but it is not
> installable apr: Depends: PayloadIsLzma (<= 4.4.6-1) but it is not
> installable [...]
>
> Of course, the crude hack approach to get it up and running is adding
> Provides: VersionedDependencies = 3.0.3-1
> Provides: PayloadFilesHavePrefix = 4.0-1
>
> to the rpm5 spec file, but I prefer to stay off junk like that. Before
> digging deeper, does anyone have any ideas why apt is seeing those bogus
> requirements instead of the correct rpmlib(PayloadIsBzip2) <= 3.0.5-1 type
> deps? (The packages are ok, rpm --requires shows the correct deps.)
>
> ttyl
> bero

I'm having a feeling this is caused by older versions of RPM inserting the
following into the requires header fields:

rpmlib(PayloadFilesHavePrefix) <= 4.0-1
rpmlib(CompressedFileNames) <= 3.0.4-1

Which I'm not sure that rpm5 does anymore.

I _suppose_ a hack to get around this is to add those older tags to the
_dependancy_whiteout section of the global macros file on Ark. Though better
yet would be to ask jbj to seed those into the rpm db with rpm5.

--
Gary L. Greene, Jr.
Sent from: peorth