[Apt-Rpm] Apt-rpm on embedded Linux, is it impossible?

jean-seb jsh at interlug-fr.org
Fri Jan 11 04:13:21 PST 2008

Quan phongvan a écrit :
> Dear friends,
>
> I've studied apt-rpm as a candidate update tool for RPM packages
> management system, because my target device run on embedded Linux
> (like Vxworks - an RTOS of windriver).
> If you don't mind, I hope that someone has tried using apt-rpm on an
> embedded system such as VxWorks and can share me his experiences. I
> really appreciate it.
> Thank you for your attention,
> Nguyen Anh Quan.
> --
> Never walk alone

I use apt in a RHEL clone for embedded systems (openvpn, firewall and
tons of stuffs like snort etc..):
it runs on a Via C3 533Mhz, 512Mo ram (256 for the system memory, and
256 for /var and /tmp in read/write mode);
the rest of the system is on a CF 512mo in read only (ext3 with some tweaks)

apt is faster than light , and it don't need python; so the memory it
use is not a big issue.

it is faster that the same version in Proliant Servers ! (maybe because
/var is in ram?)

A good choice for a "big" embedded system.

Regards.

js

Air-Austral flight Company.
http://www.air-austral.com