[Apt-Rpm] What is the best choice for RPM Update Tool

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Wed Jan 9 04:20:24 PST 2008

On Wed, 2008-01-09 at 14:11 +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 04:28:38PM +0700, Quan phongvan wrote:
> > In addition, because of my target machine run on embedded RTOS Linux (CentOS
> > for demonstrating purpose only) so I hope to get your advices more specified
> > on embedded systems run on Linux using rpm packages system (hereunder RHEL
> > base).
>
> I think this is a part where testing beats theory - pick the target
> machine and target OS, do a non-updated install and then have
> yum/apt/smart do a full update while you watch the consumption of
> system resources in an xterm.
Right. In case of embedded targets there typically is another hill to
climb: cross-compilation.

Wrt. yum, esp. python and its infrastructure are a "special kind" of
experience on their own (Not that rpm and it's infrastructure would be
much better).

If cross compilation matters, I'd really try to evaluate how other
packaging systems perform.

Ralf