[Apt-Rpm] What is the best choice for RPM Update Tool

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Wed Jan 9 04:11:34 PST 2008

On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 04:28:38PM +0700, Quan phongvan wrote:
> In addition, because of my target machine run on embedded RTOS Linux (CentOS
> for demonstrating purpose only) so I hope to get your advices more specified
> on embedded systems run on Linux using rpm packages system (hereunder RHEL
> base).

I think this is a part where testing beats theory - pick the target
machine and target OS, do a non-updated install and then have
yum/apt/smart do a full update while you watch the consumption of
system resources in an xterm.

Then also compare hard disk resources needed for harboring the
depsolvers and their metadata as well.

At the end you should be able to make a properly weighted decision
based on technical performance within your problem domain and the
support you expect to receive from various sources when/if you run in
trouble (which again depends on the skills you yourself have,
e.g. whether you will be needing full support, or can deal
first/second level yourself - after all it's usually third level
support that can break your neck)
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net