[Apt-Rpm] What is the best choice for RPM Update Tool

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Wed Jan 9 00:43:25 PST 2008

On Wed, 2008-01-09 at 14:41 +0700, Quan phongvan wrote:
> Again I really appreciate your advices.
> As I mentioned above, CentOS 4.5 is not really my target machine to
> run on my project but MFP that requires run on RTOS like embedded
> Linux (for example VxWorks). From a business POV as you recommended
> and from my study, it is so attractive of the fact that yum has a huge
> support from rpm community,
That's a mis-perception/mis-interpretation

yum is RH's and Fedora's native installer and as such received support
from RH and Fedora developers - That's essentially all.

In particular, yum is not directly connected to rpm's development,
except that there are some intersections in the persons being involved
(in particular Panu).

Other distros don't use yum (e.g. SuSE/Novell) or use different
variants/version of rpm than RH does.

>  maybe it it the strongest candidate for vendor business. But is there
> any advance of apt to beat yum in using on embedded Linux as a rpm
> package update tools such as: speed, smart dependency resolving,
> mini-ram machine, easy to handle rpm packages, security.
Is this meant to be a question?

I think, Axel already answered this in a previous posting. So ... yes
there are quite a number of technical advantages of apt-rpm over yum.

Should you consider to run apt on an embedded target, then yum would not
be an option to me.

Ralf