[Apt-Rpm] What is the best choice for RPM Update Tool

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Tue Jan 8 13:07:47 PST 2008

On Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 02:31:01PM +0700, Quan phongvan wrote:
> Thank you very much for your advices and comments, I appreciate your help.
> I sorry for that my problem is not clear enough for you to give me more
> details advice.
> Here my issues:
> My target machine is for MFP (Multi-fuction Peripherals) such as: all-in-one
> standalone network printer.
> The OS is used on MFP similar to RPM distro CentOS (that's reason why I test
> all three of update tools on CentOS 4.5) - this OS is provider by windriver.
> I've investigated three of update tools for the purpose: builing up an
> robust RPM Package management system for MFP which run on Linux-RPM OS.
> For Axel Thimm,
> Your comment are great, I apprecite it. I've studied about these on yum when
> "parallel" use all three: yum, smart. apt-rpm on CentOS.
> If you don't mind, can you give me more comment about if I bring yum or
> smart or apt-rpm into real serious project for update tool, which one would
> have the most advantage above all, and why?.

In your context the most important aspect is support by an upstream to
your project. While it is not likely that you will create a situation
in your repo that should confuse any of these tools, it is not
impossible, and from a business POV you need to be able to react fast
and have as little downtime as possible.

This means yum - as yum is both supported by your CentOS upstream, as
well as CentOS' own upstream, RHEL (yum is part of RHEL5). If you
stick to yum then you only have to worry about issues that your own
packages could create with yum (and you will be testing new packages
before rolling them out, so you have your own repo under control),
while all CentOS packages and bugs assorted with yum and these
packages would affect the whole CentOS community and maybe even the
RHEL5 community which mean much faster reaction times to any such
defect in yum.

E.g. I may be ranting about yum, but reality in vendor business means
you need to choose this over the other solutions even if the other do
have technical merits - as technical merits alone don't save a
business' day.

--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net