[Apt-Rpm] What is the best choice for RPM Update Tool

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Mon Jan 7 03:46:49 PST 2008

On Sun, Jan 06, 2008 at 04:00:14PM +0100, Sven Hoexter wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 06, 2008 at 03:37:36PM +0200, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> > On Sun, 6 Jan 2008, Quan phongvan wrote:
> >
> > > Dear friends,
> > > I've just taken part into our community on apt-rpm, and I have a question,
> > > hope to get yours help as soon as possible.
> > > Now I have try to use all of three RPM Update tools: apt-rpm, yum and
> > > smartpm. My target machine is running on CentOS (rpm system), and I want to
> > > have some advices from all you about this issue: how about yum vs apt vs
> > > smart on to be the best choice for RPM packages management system.
> >
> > Sticking with the native tools is usually the best option. Using something
> > else always comes at a price (the tools are not as well integrated or
> > whatever). Is there something specific yum (the CentOS native/default)
> > doesn't do that you need?
>
> Ranting about yum the following comes to mind after a year of RHEL usage:
> a) It's awfully slow.
> b) The search function sucks more or less but I'm not sure if it's a poor
> search inside yum or simply some bad package descriptions.
> c) Sometimes I'm missing features like -d or --print-uris.
>
> Beside that it's doing what it's supposed todo.

To be honest I haven't seen any other project with more bugs than yum.
And for every new feature you get two bugs for free as well - just had
some months of bad behaving yum due to its installonlyn "integration"
with its depsolving extinguishing *installed* kernels out of the
dependency calculations making all installed kmdls look like not
having their kernel installed ... :(
(finally fixed in yum 3.2.8)

o smart seems to do the most intelligent depsolving (hence the name)
o apt is faster than light - great for distro upgrades
o yum is what everyone uses these days

Or rephrased: if yum was really working satisfactorly the other
projects would not exist (anymore). But there are tons of developer
resources behind yum, while not so for apt-rpm or smart, so if you
want to do a long time bet yum should logically become the winner.

Having said that: You can use all three in "parallel" and judge for
yourself after a while. you can always jump from one depsolver to the
other at any later time (in "parallel": not really in two xterms in
parallel, of course, but when one depsolver is finished you can
immediately use another one).
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net