[Apt-Rpm] apt-rpm bug fixes

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Fri Jan 4 07:03:47 PST 2008

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007, Ryan Burns wrote:

> Hello,

Hi, and apologies for very late response...

> I have a handful of misc bug fixes for apt-rpm. They were originally
> found against 0.5.15lorg3.2, but I've updated them so that they apply
> cleanly to your git tree.
>
> I've also consolidated the patches into one, but left their descriptions
> intact in case you want to pick an choose them. Please let me know if
> you need me to make any changes before applying them.

Parts I just applied, a few comments:

- Garbled output (I haven't seen garbled output myself but...) patch
   applied with slight modification to use memset() instead of the legacy
   bzero()

- Http password handling applied, can't easily test this so I'll just
   take your word for it ;)

- Mips64 arch addition applied

- Absolute state dir "applied", except I rewrote it to explicitly check
   and error out on the spot if the configured statedir isn't present
   (it'd bail out later anyway but the sooner we error out the better),
   in any case it no longer falls back to the ancient /var/state/apt dir.

- For the same source package downloaded multiple times, I applied a
   simpler fix from Debian apt (using a set) - anyway thanks for pointing
   out the issue.

- The remaining bits wrt ARM cpus I find a bit troublesome:
   I don't want to have C99 requirement for apt-rpm, it gets put and used
   on very very old systems where inttypes.h isn't available. Wouldn't
   __attribute__((aligned...)) work for md5.h too? (see sha1.h which is
   more or less similar)

   Having to add aligns for a regular "bool" (the HideEpochs thingy) just
   seems plain wrong... but then I'm totally clueless about the ARM
   architecture. Care to enlighten me? :)

Oh and thanks for the patch(es)!