[Apt-Rpm] apt 0.5.15lorg3.94a + rpm 4.4.9 problems

Silvan Calarco silvan.calarco at mambasoft.it
Wed Feb 13 06:19:27 PST 2008

Hi Panu.

> Yeah, runtime probe dependencies dependencies introduced in 4.4.6 or
> thereabouts cause a lot of headache for apt which has a fairly static view
> of the package dependency set. Unless you're actually using those runtime
> dependencies in your packages, you can safely add RPM::RuntimeDeps=false
> and it'll start going a great deal faster. Otherwise, apt has to rebuild
> the full package cache from scratch on each in order to see if any of the
> runtime conditions has changed since last run.

Thanks for the hint, this helps with the current working version of apt I have
(0.5.15log3.2).

> What kind of repository is that, repomd (with or without sqlite extension)
> or plain old apt native repository? I only use repomd repositories myself
> so it's not impossible the native repository support has gotten broken at
> some point. Does the timestamp on /var/cache/apt/*.bin change at all when
> you run "apt-get update"?

I suppose it's a plain old repository because it is generated by the old tool
genbasedir. I didn't know about repomd, I will take it into consideration.
Yes the timestamp on /var/cache/apt/*.bin changes when I run apt-get update.

> > I suppose these errors refer to the new executable(...) format of rpm
> > dependencies (introduced beetwen 4.4.6 and 4.4.9) that is not yet
> > supported in apt-rpm, would it be difficult to add support or (temporary)
> > ignore them?
>
> Apt knows about executable() and various other runtime dependency probes,
> but it's a long long time since I last tested it. So you're actually using
> executable() and other runtime dependencies in your packages? What does
> for example 'rpm -q --requires dbus' look like for the above case?

Yes, I do, this is the output of 'rpm -q --requires dbus':

/bin/sh
/bin/sh
/bin/sh
/bin/sh
/bin/sh
/sbin/chkconfig
/sbin/chkconfig
/sbin/chkconfig
/sbin/ldconfig
/usr/bin/dbus-uuidgen
/usr/sbin/useradd
/usr/sbin/useradd
config(dbus) = 1.0.2-2mamba
executable(service)
executable(service)
executable(userdel)
libc.so.6
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.0)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1.2)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.2.4)
libdbus = 1.0.2-2mamba
libdbus-1.so.3
libexpat.so.1
libpthread.so.0
libpthread.so.0(GLIBC_2.0)
libpthread.so.0(GLIBC_2.1)
libpthread.so.0(GLIBC_2.3.2)
libselinux.so.1
rpmlib(CompressedFileNames) <= 3.0.4-1
rpmlib(PayloadFilesHavePrefix) <= 4.0-1

Thanks for your help, if you need any further test or information just ask.

Regards,
Silvan

--
mambaSoft