[Apt-Rpm] 0.5.15lorg3.93 Solaris build issue

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Fri Sep 28 06:16:38 PDT 2007

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007, Anders F Björklund wrote:

> Panu Matilainen wrote:
>
>> I'm not applying the rpm5.org hacks at the moment, not because of
>> "political" issues but simply because they're nasty hacks to expose
>> internals that have been purposefully hidden from the API. Some proper
>> way
>> to deal with them is needed, the rpm support code is going to require
>> large reorgs anyway in not-so-far-future.
>
> My patch was conditionalized to *only* apply to RPM >= 4.4.9
> (and probably should have added an additional && RPM < 4.5.0)
> but fixing the issue for future releases is more interesting
> than hacking in support for interim releases like 4.4.9...
>
> It seems to mostly be about "RPMSENSE_ANY" not being public ?
>
> So if that was added, it should compile OK with rpm-4_5 HEAD.
> (i.e. if "RPMSENSE_ANY" was made non-internal in the RPM API)

I wouldn't mind at all supporting "boring" interim releases but rpm5.org
>= 4.4.7 to me are not what their version suggests:
RPMSENSE_ANY (which has been part of the public API since beginning
of times) getting removed from the public API suggests that there have
been some significant underlying changes, that it compiles doesn't mean it
actually works.

I'm thinking of adding an explicit configure check that will abort the
build with rpm > 4.4.6 to make it clear that this version of apt is not
expected to work with the newer rpms and revisit the issue once the next
stable apt version has been released (which is technically just around the
corner, in wallclock time I don't know as it's mostly a matter of kicking
myself to finalize the couple of minor outstanding issues :)