[Apt-Rpm] 0.5.15lorg3.93 Solaris build issue

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Thu Oct 4 01:41:37 PDT 2007

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007, Anders F Björklund wrote:

>>> RPMSENSE_ANY (which has been part of the public API since beginning
>>> of times) getting removed from the public API suggests that there have
>>> been some significant underlying changes, that it compiles doesn't
>>> mean it
>>> actually works.
>>
>> Just curious, so far has anyone successfully been using apt with rpm >
>> 4.4.6? We're not far enough along to test it yet (due to some vpkg
>> issues and an old repo I believe). More importantly, has anyone kicked
>> this over to rpn5.org and actually asked JBJ about the internal
>> changes?
>
> Sure. And the value of RPMSENSE_ANY is now public again, in RPM 4.5:
> http://rpm5.org/cvs/chngview?cn=8420

See my comments above, it's not so much RPMSENSE_ANY itself being public
or not, it's the related changes that lead to it getting removed that
worry me.

> Not far enough with the MacPorts packaging efforts to do any major
> efforts either, but initial testing doesn't show any major problems...

I suppose it might work just fine as long as you stick to "traditional"
dependencies in your packages and avoid any new syntaxes - I'm not telling
you not to test it, just saying "beware and expect the unexpected" :)