APT-RPM and rpm 4.5?

Gary L. Greene, Jr. greeneg at tolharadys.net
Mon May 28 15:01:57 PDT 2007

On Monday 28 May 2007 13:47, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> On Mon, 28 May 2007, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> > On Sun, 27 May 2007, Gary L. Greene, Jr. wrote:
> >> I'm interested in getting apt-rpm working with rpm 4.5. Have there been
> >> any attempts at getting the code working against it?
> >
> > No by me at least, I don't usually look at new (jbj's) rpm releases until
> > somebody reports a problem building/using apt with one :)
> >
> >> From the wording, I take it you tried it and it failed... any specifics
> >
> > what kind of problems you encountered?
>
> Uh, I see.
>
> The attached quick and dirty patch makes the current apt-rpm git head
> kinda build against rpm-4.5-0.3, once you patch rpm a bit to make g++
> accept rpmevr.h (second attached patch).
>
> Whether it actually works with these kludges... I'd be more than a little
> surprised if it does, considering the amount and type of changes that
> went into rpm 4.4.9.
>
>  	- Panu -

I was talking to jbj on #rpm on freenode and he tells me that 4.4.6 is most
likely to be compatible. However, 4.4.7 has parentdir and filelinto deps and
stops using rpmrc files unless requested. Additionally, 4.4.9 has some
changes to EVR comparison that should be largely transparent, but from what I
recall, apt cares deeply about EVR comparisons. And finally, 4.5 should be
compatible to 4.4.9.

--
Gary L. Greene, Jr.
Sent from: uriel