New development release

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Wed Jun 20 21:38:01 PDT 2007

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007, Richard Bos wrote:

> Op Tuesday 19 June 2007 21:01:29 schreef Panu Matilainen:
>>> Do you mean that the server provides the repomd in an sqlite db?  Or is
>>> the same repomd file used and is that loaded into a sqlite db on the
>>> client?
>>
>> The sqlite db and xml files sit in the same repodata directory, clients
>> that support the sqlite stuff can pick that (and use directly without any
>> extra conversions) if they want. See for example
>> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/7/Everything/i3
>> 86/os/repodata/
>
> How come that the sqlite files are bigger than the compressed xml files?
> and this email from the suse email list:
> http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2007-02/msg00064.html
> Because the sqlite files are so much bigger opensuse does not plan to use
> them.  Wether that is right or wrong, I don't know.

Yes, they're slightly bigger, mostly because of various indexes the
db's contain to speed up access even further. If the db's don't exist on
the server yum will create them on the client (from the xml data) which
is by no means a cheap operation.

I dunno what the email on opensuse-factory really tries to point out,
comparing the compressed xml files on the local disk vs the
*uncompressed* sqlite databases isn't meaningful.