New development release

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Tue Jun 19 12:01:29 PDT 2007

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007, Richard Bos wrote:

> Op Sunday 17 June 2007 14:40:35 schreef Panu Matilainen:
>> On Sun, 17 Jun 2007, Richard Bos wrote:
>>> Hi Panu,
>>>
>>> it's good to see that keep on improving apt-rpm!

>>> What is the advantage of using sqlite for repomd data?  What is used
>>> nowadays?
>>
>> It's a pretty new thing, only latest yum such as in Fedora 7 supports it
>> and now apt-rpm.
>
> Do you mean that the server provides the repomd in an sqlite db?  Or is the
> same repomd file used and is that loaded into a sqlite db on the client?

The sqlite db and xml files sit in the same repodata directory, clients
that support the sqlite stuff can pick that (and use directly without any
extra conversions) if they want. See for example
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/7/Everything/i386/os/repodata/

>> The advantages are memory usage savings and random access
>> speed, both improve *enormously* with sqlite:
>>
>> On my F7 x86_64 system, 3.91 doing a full cache rebuild tops at around
>> 222MB RES with xml metadata and around 33MB with sqlite. Random access (to
>> the actual package indexs, such as when calculating download and disk
>> usage size during install/upgrade) speed increase is of similar order of
>> magnitude, probably even bigger. The price is slightly larger index
>> downloads, but well worth the benefits IMHO.

>>> Hmm, will this be hard to fix?  For me this is a showstopper.
>>
>> Probably not hard, just haven't gotten around to it :)
>
> Probably related to the question above is the a kind of new database format
> (sqlite) and is this one downloaded each time.  Or is the repomd that we are
> used downloaded each time?  In case it is the former (new db format) than it
> is no showstopper, as you already stated there are hardly any distributions
> offering the sqlite db.  Looking forward to you reply ;)

The re-downloading of unchanged indexes affects all repository types, it
has to do with how apt internally handles compressed files and changes
required for the sqlite additions. It'll get fixed in time, don't worry.