New development release

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Sun Jun 17 05:40:35 PDT 2007

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007, Richard Bos wrote:

> Hi Panu,
>
> it's good to see that keep on improving apt-rpm!
>
> Op Saturday 16 June 2007 23:48:06 schreef Panu Matilainen:
>> What's new since 0.5.15lorg3.90:
>>
>> * support for sqlite repomd metadata, automatically used if present
>
> What is the advantage of using sqlite for repomd data?  What is used nowadays?

It's a pretty new thing, only latest yum such as in Fedora 7 supports it
and now apt-rpm. The advantages are memory usage savings and random access
speed, both improve *enormously* with sqlite:

On my F7 x86_64 system, 3.91 doing a full cache rebuild tops at around
222MB RES with xml metadata and around 33MB with sqlite. Random access (to
the actual package indexs, such as when calculating download and disk
usage size during install/upgrade) speed increase is of similar order of
magnitude, probably even bigger. The price is slightly larger index
downloads, but well worth the benefits IMHO.

>> * upped cache limits for todays bigger repositories
>> * improved multilib setup, runtime configurable
>> * various repomd related optimizations
>> * several large memory leaks plugged
>> * installation progress API
>> * add API for package changelog and file listing access, implement
>>    access methods in Lua-interface, apt-cache and apt-shell
>> * various code cleanups
>> * known regressions
>>    - "apt-get update" re-downloads unchanged indexes
>
> Hmm, will this be hard to fix?  For me this is a showstopper.

Probably not hard, just haven't gotten around to it :)