Anyone using aptate here?

Johannes Kastl ojkastl at gmx.de
Tue Jun 5 12:13:29 PDT 2007

Hello,

Am 05.06.2007 21:04 schrieb Richard Bos:

> This is not possible.  The rpms must be available to aptate (in other words on
> disk).

I must have misunderstood the examples in the aptate sample
configuration I found on the homepage:

>    <component update-rpms="yes">
>       <name>kde</name>
>       <url method='ftp'>ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/suse/ftp.suse.com/suse/i386/supplementary/KDE/update_for_7.3/</url>
>       <!-- remove the hostname and directories: pub/.....supplementary/ -->
>       <wget cutdirs='7'>
>         <excludedir>pub/linux/suse/ftp.suse.com/suse/i386/supplementary/KDE/update_for_7.3/applications</excludedir>
>         <excludedir>pub/linux/suse/ftp.suse.com/suse/i386/supplementary/KDE/update_for_7.3/development</excludedir>
>         <excludedir>pub/linux/suse/ftp.suse.com/suse/i386/supplementary/KDE/update_for_7.3/experimental</excludedir>
>         <excludedir>pub/linux/suse/ftp.suse.com/suse/i386/supplementary/KDE/update_for_7.3/internationalization</excludedir>
>         <excludedir>pub/linux/suse/ftp.suse.com/suse/i386/supplementary/KDE/update_for_7.3/source</excludedir>
>       </wget>
>     </component>
>
>     <!--
>       The rpms won't be updated from this server as the attribute update-rpms
>       is missing.  This server can be used as back up server for the before
>       mentioned kde download server (ftp.gwdg.de).
>     -->
>     <component>
>       <name>kde</name>
>       <url method='ftp'>ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/supplementary/KDE/update_for_7.3/base</url>
>       <!-- remove the hostname and directories pub/suse/i386/supplementary -->
>       <wget continue="no" cutdirs='4' />
>     </component>

I thought I would not have to mirror the packages myself. Or would
aptate just handle the mirroring, and I would not need to mirror manually?

>   Perhaps you mean this:
> - aptate should categorize your packages from CD or DVD?

No, I meant Repos on a remote ftp server, unfortunately.

> If this is the case, have the config file point to the packages on disk.  Run
> aptate once and after add the argument scan="no" (if I remember well).  With
> a next aptate will scip the scanning of the disk.  This enables apt (the
> client) to resolve dependencies, but you need to disk jockey when packages
>from the CDs are actually needed.  So you rather do this with a DVD.

I used that feature a long time ago to use the dvd, when my internet
connection was slower...

OJ
- --
Scheinbar sind Mäuse mit 8 Buttons recht selten - mir fehlen auch ein
paar Finger, um so ein Ding bedienen zu können ;-)
(Christian Boltz in suse-linux)