New development release

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Sat Jun 16 14:48:06 PDT 2007

Been way too long since previous development (or any other) release, so
out of boredom, I've just put out 0.5.15lorg3.91. Yes, I'm finding it very
hard to get rid of the wacky versioning scheme.

What's new since 0.5.15lorg3.90:

* support for sqlite repomd metadata, automatically used if present
* upped cache limits for todays bigger repositories
* improved multilib setup, runtime configurable
* various repomd related optimizations
* several large memory leaks plugged
* installation progress API
* add API for package changelog and file listing access, implement
   access methods in Lua-interface, apt-cache and apt-shell
* various code cleanups
* known regressions
   - "apt-get update" re-downloads unchanged indexes
   - missing repomd indexes not always handled cleanly (assert failures)
   - progress meter doesn't show percentage of the complete operation
   - sqlite(-devel) is required for building apt-rpm with repomd support for now

It's probably (still / yet again) somewhat broken wrt synaptic, but you
can try with this patch to Synaptic and have slightly better luck than
with 3.90:
http://apt-rpm.org/patches/synaptic-0.57.2-progress-hack-apt-3.91.patch

This time the brekage really Synaptic's fault, it does hideous hacks to
get to the internals of libapt-pkg's package manager class, making the
compatibility effort in this release pretty much moot. Sigh.

Oh and btw, I intend to put this to Fedora development repo in near future
in hopes of getting some real world testing experiences. Hardly anybody
bothers testing any development versions these days, but maybe if I put it
out in pretty packages, some poor users will be lured... ;)