APT-RPM in MacPorts

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Wed Jul 11 00:52:39 PDT 2007

Panu Matilainen wrote:

>> Will try the "make distcheck" then, but I do want both RPM and APT-RPM
>> under the ${prefix} which is normally /opt/local in regular MacPorts.
>
> Yeah, I understand what you want to do there but $includedir isn't the
> right thing.
>
> One thing you can of course do is just set
> CXXFLAGS=-I/opt/local/include/rpm (or whatever the includepath there
> is)
> when calling configure, that should work without patching configure.ac
> at
> all.

I can do this (wouldn't it be CPPFLAGS though ?)

> Another alternative would be adding some configure flag like
> --with-rpm-includes=<path> to configure.

This would probably be best in the long-run,
or maybe even have it auto-detect <rpm/rpm.h> ?

>> Think patch originally was made under the assumption that the code
>> using
>> the internal values would #define something like _RPMEVR_INTERNAL to
>> use
>> them ?
>
> For some things just #define _RPM<stuff>_INTERNAL might be sufficient
> even
> if not really the right thing to do, but I think for rpm-4.5 it's not,
> as
> the version comparison code etc has changed dramatically.

No, it's just a hack - we do want to move on from
RPM 4.4.9 to RPM 4.5 once the rest is in order...

> Just FWIW, the major rework of how apt deals with rpm and it's
> different
> versions is something I've had in mind for a long time, it's a mess
> currently. Apt "knows" way way too much about rpm internal assumptions
> and
> such, and the version compatibility ifdef's are getting reeeally ugly.
> Getting apt to work with 4.5 and beyond is something I want to do if at
> all sanely possible, since there obviously are people who want to use
> it
> with it.

Yes, getting it to work with RPM 4.5 would be good
and shouldn't be impossible since it's "compatible" ?

--anders