Strange things happen with the git repository

João Abecasis jpra at caixamagica.pt
Tue Jul 10 08:17:05 PDT 2007

Hi!

I've been seeing some weird things while accessing the new git
repository and I'm reporting it here to check if anyone else is seeing
the same. My feeling is that there is something wrong with the
repository, but I'm probably missing something...

I'm trying to do only a basic setup with:

    git clone http://apt-rpm.org/scm/apt.git

Depending on the version of git I'm using I've seen different
behaviours. Here are my findings:

    * git 1.4.4.4
        - on Mandriva 2007.1
        - compiled from kernel.org sources
        - git clone crashes with a segmentation fault or hangs

    * linus-git 1.5.0.4
        - on Mandriva 2007.1
        - distro's RPM
        - crashes

    * linus-git 1.5.2.2
        - on Mandriva 2007.1
        - RPM from Mandriva cooker
        - seems to work ok
        - last commit is from 2007-02-20
        - git pull doesn't help with that

    * git 1.5.2.3
        - on Caixa Mágica 11
        - compiled from kernel.org sources
        - incomplete history (as above)

    * git 1.2.4
        - on Caixa Mágica 11
        - distro's RPM
        - git log looks in sync with website

(the CM 11 runs were run independently by a colleague)

Also, the website reports it is being generated with a pretty recent
version of git (<!-- git core binaries version 1.5.2 -->), so it seems
that 1.5.x should be able to cope with the repository...

Anyway, I'm out of ideas. Is anyone else seeing this?

Best regards,

João