New development release

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Sat Jul 7 12:58:32 PDT 2007

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007, Richard Bos wrote:

> Op Tuesday 19 June 2007 21:01:29 schreef Panu Matilainen:
>>> Probably related to the question above is the a kind of new database
>>> format (sqlite) and is this one downloaded each time.  Or is the repomd
>>> that we are used downloaded each time?  In case it is the former (new db
>>> format) than it is no showstopper, as you already stated there are hardly
>>> any distributions offering the sqlite db.  Looking forward to you reply
>>> ;)
>>
>> The re-downloading of unchanged indexes affects all repository types, it
>> has to do with how apt internally handles compressed files and changes
>> required for the sqlite additions. It'll get fixed in time, don't worry.
>
> That sounds very promising :))  Looking forward to the release that is going
> to provide this functionality!

Just FYI, the re-downloading is now fixed. I hate the fix because it means
reverting back to the totally backwards handling of file compression
within libapt-pkg acquirer system but then it's likely to cause less
breakage in API abusers such as Synaptic which work around their way
around various libapt-pkg limitations in rather <cough> creative <cough>
ways.

The patch against 0.5.15lorg3.91 is here if you want to test it before the
next tarball release [*]:
http://apt-rpm.org/scm/?p=apt.git;a=commitdiff_plain;h=8461452a9fd7101d318bbf19517a1a7454ce1b02;hp=6f00b25f88fda3c8cbad69dcbb563c45e346115d

[*] I really need to get my act together and fix the rest of the couple of
remaining blocker bugs such as sqlite requirement and get a release out.
0.5.15lorg3.2 is getting very very dusty...