[Apt-Rpm] How do I hold back individual packages from being upgraded

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Sun Dec 16 00:37:52 PST 2007

On Sat, 15 Dec 2007, Nigel Henry wrote:
[...]

Hmm, my earlier reply seems to have gone to bit-heaven..

> Problem resolved "he says" (speaking in a whisper). Having tried various
> incantations in /etc/apt/preferences, this one appears to be viable, as
> apt-get dist-upgrade -s shows nothing to be upgraded, see below.
>
> Package: fltk
> Pin: version 1.1.7*
> Pin-Priority: 1001
>
> The fltk version 1.1.7* is referring to fltk-1.1.7-1.fc5, which is the
> installed version of fltk, and installed using rpm -Uvh <path to fltk
> package>. I replaced the fltk-1.1.8-0.3.r5750.fc7 version with the fc5
> version, as the fc7 version creates problems with ZynnAddSubFX.

Yes, this is the best way to accomplish what you want: now the version you
want is pinned down hard, no matter what happens. The other option of
preventing 1.1.8* versions would break if fltk got updated to say 1.1.9.

Just FWIW: it is possible to prevent given versions from getting
installed, but you need to use a negative value, not zero, for that. And
that's what the manpage says (at least the one I have here):

        P < 0  prevents the version from being installed.