Command to show all packages in one repo?

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Mon Apr 23 12:30:17 PDT 2007

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007, Johannes Kastl wrote:

> Hello (again ;-)),
>
> is there a command that lets apt show all packages that are in one
> repository? Sometimes I find a new repository cos of one packages, and
> would like to know what else is in there, without having to open a web
> browser/ftp client.

Not really. Apt obviously does know what packages are in a given
repository but there's no good way to get that information out of it
currently:
1) there's no sane way to refer to a given repository from the cli or
otherwise, as repositories don't have names
2) there's no way to control (from the cli) what repositories are
considered for a given run
3) apt-cache's query-capabilities are ...erm... limited, to put it nicely

You *can* parse that info from 'apt-cache dump' output but that's hardly
the kind of answer you want :) Improving the query capabilities and
repository manipulation is in the plans, if that's of any comfort.