About the apt/apt4rpm Websites and the confusion about which is the current one

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Wed Apr 18 23:30:20 PDT 2007

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007, Johannes Kastl wrote:

> Hello,
>
> this week I was looking for *the* homepage related to "the" apt which
> is installed on my suse now.
>
> I found some homepages, but as far as it seems there is a "new" one
> (apt-rpm.org) and some outdated ones. I found
> http://apt4rpm.sourceforge.net/, http://moin.conectiva.com.br/AptRpm
> and http://linux01.gwdg.de/apt4rpm/.
>
> The first is the one I knew, with the mailing lists I was subscribed
> to, but I never got an announcement that the project in this form was
> dead. It seems like this, last news are from 2005. But that homepage
> is about apt4rpm, which builds up repositories, but is not used to
> install packages.
> Although the names are very often confused, apt/apt4rpm are both used
> when meaning the apt-get installation tool.
>
> The second homepage is also very old, but it tells that apt-rpm.org is
> the new homepage. Although it might be better to get rid of that
> website, and just redirect http://moin.conectiva.com.br/AptRpm to
> apt-rpm.org IMHO.

When I agreed with Conectiva to take over apt-rpm maintainership, they
asked me to preserve the history... which is only available at the old
http://moin.conectiva.com.br/AptRpm site, and I don't want to carry
information about the old releases which I didn't create in the new site.
It does point to the new official apt-rpm site though, I don't think
there's much confusion about that.

> The third homepage is outdated, and should therefore maybe be linked
> to the new apt-rpm.org. Somehow it does refer to the apt4rpm
> mailinglist for feddback, so one could get slightly confused.

Well, apt4rpm is a different project like you said, with it's own mailing
list. It would be nice if apt4rpm pages referred to apt-rpm.org instead of
the old Conectiva pages though.

Richard, could you update those references on apt4rpm site (and check that
your packages refer to apt-rpm.org in their URL section as well)?

> I would propose to edit these websites, and let them refer to
> apt-rpm.org, or just redirect users to the new homepage. Otherwise it
> might be very confusing which apt is the current one.
>
> I found no mail adress of a project leader or similar on both
> websites, so I just took all adresses of developers etc. I found.
> Sorry if I disturb someone ;-)

No problem :)