generate Contents.gz single file

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Wed Apr 4 22:22:33 PDT 2007

On Thu, 5 Apr 2007, Zé wrote:

> I have seen in suse repos a filename Contents.gz file that can list all rpms
> instead having different *.gz files.
>
> For example like exists in:
> http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/suse/apt/SuSE/10.1-i386/
>
> the file Contents-i386.gz  that have all the rpm info of all rpm subdirs, and
> still exists the dir /base that have all the  pkglist.*.bz2 files
>
> So far i have used:
> genbasedir  --progress /www/hosts/mydistro
>
> but this generates 3 files inside /base dir
> pkglist.Contents.bz2
> release.Contents
> srclist.Contents.bz2
>
> So i ask if anyone can tell me a way to be able to generate a file Contents.gz
> in top dir of apt-rpm sctruture instead create the per folder pkglist.*.bz2
> files inside /base dir

I guess the Contents file is generated by apt4rpm repository tools
(http://apt4rpm.sourceforge.net/). But you'll still need the per-directory
pkglists, eg http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/suse/apt/SuSE/10.1-i386/base/,
apt doesn't know how to use the Contents file.

If the idea is to simplify sources.list entries by lumping everything
together then you can accomplish that by couple of different ways. One is
to use "meta components", see
http://apt-rpm.org/reposetup-native.shtml#meta-components

The other is to use repomd repository instead of "native" apt
repositories, createrepo by default collects all packages below given top
directory into one repository, so you can have rpm's in several
directories and they still appear to be in the same repository.