A new development/test release

Vincent Danen vdanen at annvix.org
Wed Sep 6 22:37:45 PDT 2006

* Panu Matilainen <pmatilai at laiskiainen.org> [2006-09-07 00:58:16 +0300]:

> To give you folks something new to play with while I pack my life into
> cardboard boxes and move to a new apartment, here's a tarball of what's
> been cooking in svn lately:
> http://apt-rpm.org/testing/apt-0.5.15lorg3.90.tar.bz2
>
> For full details see the included Changelog but here are some highlights
> of changes since lorg3.2:
> - a big man page overhaul: docbook/sgml tools aren't needed for building
> them and contents have been revised for apt-rpm (debianisms removed etc)
> - fancy new progress meters during rpm transaction
> - lots of code cleanups and reorganization (type correctness, old
> obsolete code and various redundancies removed etc)
> - some new operations in apt-cache and apt-shell
> - big speed improvement in cache rebuild (~20% on my systems)
> - build time options to disable repomd support (to avoid libxml2
> dependency) and selinux support
>
> Known issues:
> - Synaptic doesn't quite grok the new progress meter stuff, doesn't
> crash but it looks ugly. Will fix before the next stable release.
> - There are some changes that might have broken building with older rpm
> systems. Let me know if there are regressions in that area, they are
> certainly unintentional.
>
> Give it a whirl and let me know how it spins, but don't use in/package
> for production yet :)

Definitely sounds nice and I plan to give it a whirl this week but...
out of curiousity, when are we going to get rid of the really off
version number?  =)

Could the next stable release perhaps use something a little more sane?

Here's to hoping!

--
{FEE30AD4 : 7F6C A60C 06C2 4811 FA1C  A2BC 2EBC 5E32 FEE3 0AD4}
mysql> SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;