Rollback functionality for apt-rpm

Vincent Danen vdanen at annvix.org
Wed Nov 29 20:14:27 PST 2006

* Gary L. Greene, Jr. <greeneg at phoenuxos.com> [2006-11-29 09:08:29 -0500]:

> > I'm a developer with Caixa Mágica (the portuguese distribution of
> > Linux!), where we use a customized version of apt-rpm as our main
> > package manager. Our customizations amount to a "rollback" feature,
> > which we'd like to contribute back into (your) mainline. To get the
> > ball rolling, I've prepared a patch against current svn (revision 272)
> > and hopefully, it's attached to this message... I'd like to hear your
> > feedback on the patch and to understand what it'll take to merge the
> > code.
>
> [snip]
>
> This looks like a rather interesting feature. While I can't speak for Panu, I
> can definitely see adding this to PhoeNUX OS' build... (Now if only we could
> get scriptlet postponing, looks like I have to add it as a lua hook for
> now :| )

ooh!  ooh!  You mean like postponing all %post scripts and such until
after the entire transaction is complete?  Are you serious?  If you
implement something like that *please* share!  With Annvix (and Mandriva
and possibly other distros) we tend to restart apache on every new
module that gets installed, but if you upgrade apache to a new version,
that's a lot of modules and a lot of useless apache restarts.

I've wanted a post-transaction handler in urpmi for ages but they never
seemed to get how useful it would be, so if you have eyes to implement
something like this in apt, I'm very very willing to use your work... =)
Sorry, I'd be willing to help, but I don't know the first thing about
lua and have very little time to learn.

--
{FEE30AD4 : 7F6C A60C 06C2 4811 FA1C  A2BC 2EBC 5E32 FEE3 0AD4}
mysql> SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;