Bug blocking CentOS to provide apt

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Wed Nov 22 06:49:14 PST 2006

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006, Axel Thimm wrote:

> Hi Dag,
>
> On Wed, Nov 22, 2006 at 12:37:53PM +0100, Dag Wieers wrote:
> > Apparently there is still an outstanding bug for CentOS blocking
> > consideration to provide apt as an alternative to yum.
> >
> > Can someone validate that this indeed is a problem with apt ? At least Yum
> > doesn't care about it (which is in itself not a guarantee that this is not
> > a packaging bug instead of an apt bug).
> >
> > Here is the info:
> >
> > 	http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=1502
>
> this seems to be neither a bug in apt or any packages, it is a bug in
> the way centos generates the apt repo, e.g. like a missing --bloat to
> genbasedir or similar that strips off part of the metadata like file
> provides and virtual dependencies.

I've got a confirmation about the genbasedir options, they used in fact:
--flat --bloat --bz2only

> I tested it with RHEL4/i386 on apt-0.5.15lorg3.2 and apr-devel hapily
> installs (properly pulling in apr).

I never have seen such a problem either. But it came up today and they
referenced the bugzilla entry so it couldn't harm sending it here to
verify if this was a known issue with a previous version and/or to receive
some feedback.

Kind regards,