listing updated packages only

Gary L. Greene, Jr. greeneg at phoenuxos.com
Sat Nov 11 09:33:59 PST 2006

On Monday 12 June 2006 02:10, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Jun 2006, Vincent Danen wrote:
> > * Gary L. Greene Jr. <greeneg at phoenuxos.com> [2006-06-11 16:10:23 -0400]:

> >> Vincent, if you do that, can you please send me the script? I could use
> >> that for PhoeNUX's apt-rpm so I can get rid of a LOT of excess code in
> >> Pi (package installer) which is an add / remove programs GUI app I'm
> >> writing in perl-qt.
> >
> > The lua script or the shellscript?  The shellscript is being done first
> > as that's the one I know I can whip out quickly.  The lua script...
> > probably not so quick, although I'll know more once I start looking at
> > the other scripts.
>
> What sort of things are we talking about here, exactly? I think a cronjob
> for automatical updates (or "updates available" notifications) are a
> pretty common need.
>
> There's already a crude cronjob for this in contrib/apt-cron but that
> could be enhanced in plenty of ways, including a nicer output for the
> purpose by using a custom lua script etc.
>
> Folks interested in this, could you list your needs in a bit more detailed
> level than "updater / update-checker running from cron" :) Mock output is
> fine, and doesn't matter if it's a bit distro-specific, we can then figure
> out the common needs and find ways to make those distro-specific things
> possible. I should be able to whip out something for this pretty
> quickly... that can be then improved on and included in contrib/ etc.
>
>  	- Panu -

Going through past conversations on the list....

I think with regard to a update-checker run via cron, stand-alone GUI tools,
or some tray applet in KDE/GNOME, a plain output of package names would work
in the beginning. What I'd LOVE to see is the RPM change-log or some such be
packed into the apt cached DB. Then we could have the lua script do the list
with the following format:

[PACKAGE_NAME]\t[STRING_CONTAINING_MOST_RECENT_CHANGE_LOG_ENTRY]\n

Then it can be parsed by external tools, like the script that Vincent was
working with or the package install tools I and Logan are working on.

--
Gary L. Greene, Jr.
Sent from: uriel.tolharadys.net