New repository configuration ponderings

Gary L. Greene, Jr. greeneg at phoenuxos.com
Sat Nov 11 09:31:08 PST 2006

On Monday 31 July 2006 14:00, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-07-01 at 18:11 -0400, Gary L. Greene Jr. wrote:

> > > Attached is a working bare minimum implementation of this format
> > > (configuration goes into apt.conf or apt.conf.d in this version). It's
> > > not a lot of code but already enables the very thing I need to use yum
> > > for these days: --enablerepo/disablerepo=<somerepo> in the form -o
> > > repositories::<reponame>::enabled=true|false
> > >
> > > 	- Panu -
> >
> > How much has been done on this feature? Is it in the latest release?
>
> I never did anything past the experimental, very incomplete patch,
> mostly because I started worrying about Synaptic. Synaptic knows way too
> much about apt internals for its own good, for example it has it's own
> sources.list parser (and editor). So, Synaptic is going to require some
> major love when the new repository stuff goes in for real, to the point
> it probably means forking Synaptic as well. Not that there has been much
> work happening on in a long time as Michael has moved on to SmartPM now
> it seems. It's just that I'm not exactly looking forward to maintaining
> that as well :-/
>
> Of course nothing prevents us from prototyping and testing things in the
> "devel tree" in plain apt-rpm and once we're satisfied with it do the
> necessary deeds for Synaptic, development versions can be quite easily
> excused for not working with Synaptic afterall :)
>
> 	- Panu -

More looking through my backlog of messages....

If people are interested in helping me work on PXI (a PerlQt GUI package
manager that uses the apt command instead of doing things via libapt) we can
eventually ask folks to move to this new PM GUI instead of supporting
Snaptic, especially since the sources for Synaptic are now under a bzr tree
in the Ubuntu project's servers. This way it'll all be under SVN and we can
be as apt-rpm specific as we want. Also I'd be more than willing to have PXI
have a ncurses mode too, which would allow editing the sources.list (or
sources.conf when the new support goes in....), and would generally allow
things like aptitude's CLI based management.

--
Gary L. Greene, Jr.
Sent from: uriel.tolharadys.net