apt lorg3.1 segfaults on RH9, RH7.3 and EL2.1

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Mon May 29 13:58:10 PDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-05-29 at 22:33 +0200, Dag Wieers wrote:
> On Mon, 29 May 2006, Panu Matilainen wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 2006-05-29 at 16:17 +0200, Dag Wieers wrote:
> > > Hi Panu,
> > >
> > > With a repomd repository created with the createrepo -n option and a
> > > vanilla apt lorg3.1 on RH9, RH7.3 and EL2.1 I get segfaults when doing an
> > > apt-get update.
> >
> > Found it, I thought apt was safe wrt createrepo -n but I must've tested
> > with some other incarnation of the patch. This should fix the issue and
> > safeguard against other similar cases as well:
> >
> > svn diff -r 195:196 http://svn.laiskiainen.org/apt-rpm/trunk/
>
> It works fine. I've completely switched to repomd for my own repositories.
> Metadata (-n where required) is available, now we need to convince
> freshrpms and fedora legacy to patch createrepo and run that :)
>
> All distributions since EL2.1 can now run the same update tool with repomd !

Cool, good to hear it's working now for those old versions as well.
Now I just need to see if Axel's buildsys usage can be helped without
breaking anything else :)

> PS The createrepo rpm (0.4.4-3) in my repository is also patched for the
> -u option to update a repository instead of rebuilding it. I guess we
> don't need that feature in genbasedir soon :)

Well, I'm not planning on touching genbasedir if I can help it :) OTOH,
I have been thinking about having a go at implementing createrepo in C++
to see what sort of performance one could get compared to python. Have
you done any timings for createrepo with and without the update-patch?