man pages

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Sun May 28 10:22:35 PDT 2006

On Sun, 2006-05-28 at 14:47 +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-05-28 at 11:29 +0200, Dag Wieers wrote:
> > On Sat, 27 May 2006, Vincent Danen wrote:
> >
> > > * Panu Matilainen <pmatilai at laiskiainen.org> [2006-05-27 21:08:59 +0300]:

> > > Yeah, but the problem with sgml/xml documentation is you need to have
> > > the appropriate dtd's and whatnot available... I could only do so by
> > > either a) adding about a half-dozen or so packages to Annvix (for use by
> > > a single package in *compiling*, nevermind day-to-day use), or b)
> > > compile them on a Mandriva system and make a separate tarball.
> > >
> > > So forgive me if I'm not too keen on the xml/sgml idea.  =)
>
> Re-read my comment, I wouldn't be opposed to having pre-compiled manual
> pages in the distribution tarballs, somebody just send me a patch to
> make the compilation happen automatically in "make dist".
I had a stab at this some weeks ago, but never finished it, because
support to ship precompiled man-pages isn't as easy as it seems at first
glance, because the apt's manpages' contents isn't static and rather
unfortunately placed/packages inside of the source-tree.

So, if we could live with some regression on the man-pages' contents,
adding pre-compiled manpages is doable.

Ralf