New repository configuration ponderings

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Sun May 28 08:27:47 PDT 2006

On Sun, 2006-05-28 at 17:13 +0200, Dag Wieers wrote:
> On Sun, 28 May 2006, Panu Matilainen wrote:
>
> > I've been thinking about improving the repository configuration and
> > related things for a while now. Just yesterday I realized we could
> > easily use the existing main configuration system for this, instead of
> > inventing yet-another-file-format and parser for it.
> >
> > Thoughts?
>
> It's fine with me as long as the old syntax is still accepted ?
> Not sure if you could blend the old syntax inside the new one.

I'd rather get rid of the old sources.list stuff because it's so ...
limited. I was mostly planning on providing a converter script which can
be triggered on package updates, but it might be possible (and even
easy) to keep compatibility, haven't given it that much thought yet.

> PS Where exactly does the $(VERSION) come from ?

It's basically the same as yum's $releasever. You can set eg.
APT::DistroVerPkg="fedora-release" and $(VERSION) will be replaced by
the fedora-release version, and it can additionally be overridden with
APT::DistroVersion config option. Oh and the $(VERSION) stuff works
right now (since lorg2 release).