apt munging filenames

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Sun May 28 02:41:53 PDT 2006

On Sat, 2006-05-27 at 14:01 -0600, Vincent Danen wrote:
> When I used apt-get in download-only mode, the filenames are getting
> munged, but it's wierd and moderately inconsistent.  It doesn't really
> impact the installation of the files, but it doesn't look correct, ie:
>
> zlib1_1.2.3-5493avx_x86%5f64.rpm
>
> that should be:
>
> zlib1-1.2.3-5493avx.x86_64.rpm
>
> Any ideas why it would be doing that?  It's doing it for everything I
> download with apt-get install -d foo.

It munges the filenames to avoid clashes from different repositories.
Yes it's hideously ugly and yet again something we intend to fix sooner
or later.

Right now, if you want to use the files downloaded by apt for eg eg
partial local repository purposes you can use this extension to
copy/link the files to alternative location with their names
resanitized:
http://apt-rpm.org/lua/dlrename/