0.5.15lorg3.1 loses epochs on rh7.3/rh8.0/rh9 (promoteepoch?)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Fri May 26 17:21:59 PDT 2006

On Fri, May 26, 2006 at 10:48:27PM +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> In that case the HideZeroEpoch runtime configuration patch in my
> previous mail would probably help.

Shouldn't promoteepoch then automatically trigger the HideZeroEpoch
patch (e.g. do we really need this as a new config)?

> The situation is really just insane: to support repomd repositories
> made with unpatched createrepo, to behave consistently with modern
> rpm which is not supposed to care about zero vs no epoch, we need to
> strip all the zero epochs everywhere (that's what smart does as
> well, and the other option of *adding* zero epochs where they don't
> exist breaks even more things). And to try to support older versions
> we leave them intact and pray that a patched createrepo was
> used. It's just sick. And all because of createrepo lies about
> non-existent epochs. SIGH.

Can't we just

o file a bug against createrepo
o assume createrepo doesn't mess with missing epochs (e.g. is the
  patched version)

For newer distributions which also have repomd support there is no
real issue with zero epoch != no-epoch, because the promoteepoch
issues were fixed in (or after) RH9/RHEL3. Older distributions didn't
work with repomd and unpatched creatrepo until now anyway.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net