rpm --root equivalent?

Vincent Danen vdanen at annvix.org
Tue May 9 09:39:22 PDT 2006

* Panu Matilainen <pmatilai at laiskiainen.org> [2006-05-08 06:52:36 -0700]:

> > Another question.  Is there a way to point apt to a chroot to do an
> > install?  For instance, with rpm, you can use --root to point to a
> > directory or other filesystem to make rpm install stuff in that
> > directory rather than the "real" root.  urpmi can do the same thing (in
> > fact, I use urpmi to do the whole system installation as a result).
> >
> > Can apt be coerced into doing the same thing somehow?  If not, then I
> > have to keep urpmi (more's the pity) if for nothing else than the
> > installer (and for building the installer).
>
> Sure, you can use -o rpm::rootdir=/some/path from the command line or set
> it in configuration file.

Fantastic!

> BTW if you're dealing a lot with chroot environments you might want to
> have a look at mach: http://thomas.apestaart.org/projects/mach/

Hmmm... this sounds interesting.  I'll have to take a peek at this.
Thanks!

Oh, one more question.  I just realized this the other day, or rather,
just remembered.

apt only can use ftp/http to retrieve packages, correct?  Are there any
plans to support other methods of package retrieval?  One thing that I
found I use on my external web servers is that one of them holds a copy
of my repository of packages, and the other retrieves them via ssh/scp.
Now, I could setup an ftp server on the one machine to run over the
local xover cable that links the two machines, but that's a bit of a
pain... =)  I was wondering if apt could currently do something like
this or if there were any plans?

Thanks again for answering so many questions... =)  I really do
appreciate it.

--
Annvix - Secure Linux Server: http://annvix.org/
"lynx -source http://linsec.ca/vdanen.asc | gpg --import"