Mixed binary + source repomd (was: apt vs urpmi)

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Mon May 8 12:21:34 PDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-05-04 at 02:03 -0700, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> On Thu, 4 May 2006, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> > OK, I missed this. If what I suspect applies, failures should be
> > producible with
> >
> > * a "repomd"-repo containing only one src.rpm and no binary rpm. (This
> > case hits several bugs at once with "apt-get source" on repomd-src's)
> >
> > * a repomd-repo containing only src.rpm and one corresponding binary
> > rpm, with its metadata files containing the binary rpm before the
> > src.rpm (This case occasionally hits another bug in "apt-get source").
>
> Yup, I can see those cases failing in various pathetical ways currently :)
> Right now I'm mostly concerned about getting any possible remaining
> bugs shaken out from the binary handling part of repomd. And yes, I want
> to get the mixed mode repositories supported fully as well in the next
> non-bugfix release:
> - allow repomd and repomd-src to share the same xml files so they don't
> need to be downloaded twice
> - work out the source parsering to skip binaries

Just FYI, these should be now all fixed in svn as of revision 153,
including mixed binary + source "repomd" fully working with both sources
and binaries and an off-by-one bug where the first package from repomd
repositories got skipped.

Remaining on lorg3.1 bugsquash-list:
- do something about the no epoch vs zero epoch syndrome caused by
repomd format
- fix the type-punning errors with -fstrict-aliasing (although rpm
itself has this same issue, guess where the errors in apt-rpm come
from ;)